2009-2010 Committee Reports and Information
ACTION: Elementary Online Achievement Reporting System Focus Group Summaries
This document dated January 4, 2010 summarizes feedback and
recommendations gathered from MCPS focus groups on improving the
implementation of the Elementary Online Achievement Reporting System
within which Standards Based Report Cards are generated.
Final Exam Workgroup Recommendation re: AP/IB/CIE Student Exemptions from MCPS Final Exam
After receiving a formal opposition from the MCCPTA on the workgroup’s earlier recommendation, MCPS reconvened the Final Exam Workgroup on November 19, 2007. Workgroup members discussed parent, student, staff and teacher feedback at length and, in the end, renewed the previously recommended option and added language (in italics below). The language below is the revised recommendation recently sent to Dr. Frieda Lacey.
Recommendation: All students enrolled in AP/IB/CIE courses during semester B are exempt from the traditional two-hour final examination administered during final exam week, but will complete an end-of-course, culminating activity/assessment that counts as 25 percent of the semester grade (same as final examination). The culminating activity/assessment will be developed by school-based subject area teams and based on centrally developed guidelines.
MCPS Grading & Reporting Contacts by School
2008-2009 Committee Reports and Information
2007-2008 Committee Reports and Information
2006-2007 Committee Reports and Information
June 13, 2007: Grading & Reporting Issues
Attached are memos sent by Dr. Lacey on June 7, 2007 to Elementary and Secondary Principals regarding Grading and Reporting matters. Both memos provide the local schools with a procedure to be followed for Answering Grading and Reporting Questions from Parents in the event that a G/R disagreement ensues between parent/student and teacher. The memo to Secondary Principals also addresses Procedures for Summer Packets/Assignments and Procedures for Academic Dishonesty.
The Grading and Reporting Committee’s input is being sought on discussion of the following issues. More issues may be discussed as input is provided over the MCCPTAGradingAndReporting listserv:
1. Whether parents should be permitted direct contact with the resource teacher, local school staff or school administrator to discuss a dispute under Procedures for Answering Grading and Reporting Question from Parents in Grades 1-12. As these Procedures are worded, if a parent speaks with the resource teacher or school administrator, he or she could be told that the Procedure was not followed.
2. Whether the Procedures for Secondary Summer Packets/Assignments should require that those assignments be posted on school websites as a summer-time support for students in the event that the assignment(s) is lost.
3. Whether Procedures for Addressing Academic Dishonesty really outlines procedures for teachers to follow in the event of academic dishonesty. The document lists Purpose, Rationale and Expectations sections, but does not contain a Procedure section.
On an informational note, Erick Lang was appointed as the new Associate Superintendent yesterday to replace recently promoted Jody Leleck. On MCPS’ proposal change the method of calculation final grades in secondary schools, Betsy Brown indicates that she will collect feedback from both principals/teacher and parent groups and that this recommendation cannot be presented to either Erick Lang or Dr. Lacey until that process has been concluded and that there is a clear signal that this is something that most believe is desirable.
Beth Kennington, Chair, Grading & Reporting Committee
- Memo from Dr. Frieda K. Lacey to Secondary School Principals on procedures relating to grading and reporting questions, summer packets, and academic dishonesty.
- Memo from Dir Frieda K. Lacey to Elementary School Principals on grading and reporting.
- MCPS Form 270-8, Complaint from the Public form
To join the Grading & Reporting Committee and offer input on these matters, please provide your name, PTA/PTSA position and school affiliation in an e-mail addressed to MCCPTAGradingAndReportingemail@example.com